Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Psalm 130:5 "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I do hope."


I had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with my extended family in Southern California. Here is a picture of Zac with his nephew and my grandson, Cuinn.

Dear Family and Friends,

I'm reading this wonderful book by Corrie Ten Boom called "Clippings From My Notebook". Here are some quotes about worry from her book:

Someone said to me: "When I worry I go to the mirror and say to myself: This tremendous thing which worries me is beyond solution; especially it is too hard for Jesus Christ to handle. After I have said so, I smile and am ashamed."

As Charles G. Trumbull says, "Worry is sin; a murderous, God-defying, Christ-rejecting sin; worry about anything at any time whatever. We will never know victory over worry and anxiety until we begin to treat it as sin. For such it is. It is a deep-seated distrust of the Father, who assures us again and again that even the falling sparrow is in His tender care."

The words "fear not" occur many times in the Bible. The Word of God has no suggestions, only commandments. So if we fear and worry, we are being disobedient, and disobedience is always a sin.

The only way blunders and destruction can occur in our lives is when we forget to trust God. When we take things into our own unskilled hands, we get them knotted and tangled.

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength. It does not enable us to escape evil. It makes us unfit to face evil when it comes. It is the interest you pay on trouble before it comes.


I'm so glad that when I come to God, confessing my sin, He forgives me and restores me. So when I find myself worrying, I know there is a way out. Confess my sin, receive His forgiveness and trust Him. Even if the solution is not immediate, I will claim the promises from His Word, wait on Him and trust Him.

In Mark 4:35-41 we read about Jesus and the disciples who were crossing the Sea of Galilee. A great windstorm arose and the boat began to fill with water. Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. So his disciples woke him asking if He even cared that they were perishing. He quieted the wind and the sea saying to them, "Why were you so fearful? Don't you even yet have confidence in me?" (TLB)

He is worthy, so worthy, of our confidence.

Prayer Requests: Please pray that God will:

1) Continue His healing of my body
2) Help me deal firmly with my pride
3) Pour His love out through my life to others
4) Make me a channel of blessing
5) Remind me of His promises as I study His Word

Standing under the shadow of His wings,

Jane

1 comment:

  1. lmitchell@suddenlink.netDecember 2, 2011 at 7:27 AM

    Dear Jane,
    I am so glad you were able to get together with your guys and their families over the holidays. Our grand children are growing up so fast! I am so grateful for His promises.
    Your study of God's word is a blessing to me - and each time I read your blog I am reminded again how faithful He is.

    Over Thanksgiving, I was taking a quiet moment to read some in Psalms. The girls came in to see what I was up to, so I asked them if they wanted me to read out loud what I had been reading. We read Psalms 1:1-3 and talked about the meaning of some of the unusual words like "Blessed", "counsel", "mockers", "delight", "meditates", "wither", and "prosper". Those 3 short verses were so full of teachable moments. What started as my need to regroup, God used to bless all of us.

    I am praising Him daily for you and His care of you, Linda

    ReplyDelete