As stated before, Jane had a mass behind her left eye that was causing blindness in that eye. She had surgery to remove the mass and while the surgeons here at UCSF were able to get 95% of it, 5% is still remaining. The biopsy from that mass showed Jane has multiple myeloma (a cancer that starts in the blood and makes tumors in bone). The cancer has manifested in this tumor that grew out of her skull and onto the optic nerve. It is considered "systemic" as it has also caused small tumors on her skull, vertebrae, shoulders, collar bone, sternum, ribs, pelvis, and thigh bones.
Multiple myeloma is not curable however, through chemotherapy and radiation, it is treatable. Jane's doctors are recommending radiation to kill the remaining 5% of the tumor behind her eye. Chemotherapy (a combination of the drugs Revlimid, Velcade, and Decadron) is being recommended to try to kill the cancer cells in her blood in hopes of reducing the chance of new tumors growing. The tumors growing in her bones cause a leeching of calcium out of her bones which makes them very weak and prone to fractures. This is why her clavicle broke. The good news is that Jane's kidney function (which is adversely affected by this type of cancer) is still very good.
Where does Jane go from here?
*Jane is still at UCSF Hospital. She may be discharged early next week. There are still a few more tests that we are waiting for results from. She gains more strength and mobility each day.
*Jane hopes to start radiation quickly and will most likely have it done here in San Francisco as they are highly specialized here. Radiation treatments last 2 weeks.
*Jane is hoping she will be able to start chemotherapy in conjunction with the radiation. Chemo can be administered anywhere by any oncology doctor. Once her radiation is complete she is planning to go back home to Modesto and continue receiving chemo there.
Prayer Requests:
* That God would be glorified
* That God would arrest the cancer and heal her
* That Jane would trust God completely
Jane says:
Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts. It's wonderful to know I'm being lifted up to the Lord. I love you all.
From Jane's Family:
Your daily cards and posts mean so much to Jane and really lift her spirits (as well as ours)! Thank you so much for your continuing support.
Dear Jane,
ReplyDeleteAm continuing to pray for you! You are in my thoughts daily and I know God is your strength and your hope. He is the One who will sustain you though this trial. You have been a huge blessing to all of us and we miss you so much!!
Love and prayers, Lynne Marcus
Hello Jane (and Jane's family)-
ReplyDeleteI am still praying for you. I know things must be very hard at times, and even though we know about God's love for us and His promises, we still have to walk down hard paths in this life. So, I hope that you will keep your focus on Him and on the race set before you. We will look at Hebrews 11 - 12:2 this week in the Bible memory class. Sorry you cannot be there, I will need to have a special class just for you once you are back! May God shower you with His joy and presence.
Be of good cheer, He has overcome the world.
Thank you so much to who is writing this blog. It is very good to know how she is doing, so that we may keep on praying for her. Tell her I am praying for her please. Summur Braley
ReplyDeleteJane, I miss you and think of you daily. Every so often something comes up in the office, and I say we need to ask Jane's opinion. I can't wait until you are well and back with us. I've always admired your strength and determination as well as your faith in God, so I know you will get through this.
ReplyDeleteI sent you a note to the hospital about Lynn's Zen garden in our front yard. Well, he found cat footprints in it last night. He raised such a fuss. I told him if he puts that thing in the front yard, the neighborhood cats are going to see it as a giant litter box, but he acted like I was crazy. Now we know who's really the crazy one.
Your friend,
Carrie
Dear Jane,
ReplyDeleteYou are in good hands at UCSF, that' is where my father was treated for his rare cancer. I am so glad you will get to return home soon for your continued care. This blog is a blessing and you are such a light shining bright reminding us what is important in our lives. God bless you and yours and we continue to pray for you. I am so very thankful for the detailed prayer request list, as it helps me find the words to lift you up to Him. Love, Shawna
Dearest Jane,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you are going through these difficult days. You are so dear to my heart and I just want it all to go away. :(
I am praying for complete healing. We have permission to ASK and sometimes we don't HAVE because we don't ASK. But you have requested first for God to be glorified. So that is my prayer as well, and that you would rest in His care in total trust (also your request).
This is no surprise to Him.
I heard the story of a missionary on furlough who was looking forward to returning to the field when she learned she had leukemia. Her comment? I thought I could serve God best on the mission field, but now He is asking me to serve Him with leukemia.
That's what I'm seeing in you, a submission to His will. Jesus asked to be released from the pain of the cross. Then He added "Nevertheless, not my will but Thine....." For reasons known only to Him, He is allowing you to go through this fiery trial.
Following are some thoughts for today from Scripture, but also from my heart.....
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
As it is written: 'For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.'
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, not any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
~Romans 8:35-39
May He give you peace as you experience His presence with you.
So glad you also have family with you.
Lovingly,
Your cousin Marilyn
I continue to pray for strength and endurance for you Jane. I know that your faith is steadfast, and that God's light will continue to shine through you even through this dim time. You are an inspiration, dear sister, and I know that God WILL be glorified through you during this illness. Hold Fast, my friend, stand firm.
ReplyDeleteIn Christ, ~Peggy<><
Hi Jane,
ReplyDeleteBrenna's heart surgery was performed at the Children's Hospital at UCSF in April 2009. The care was excellent. We stayed at the Moffatt House (a B&B) if you need other accommodations. They have a 2 bedroom apt that we rented with a kitchen. It worked out well for us and they give discounts to UCSF patients. Let me know if you need the number. All else is well. Rob, Brenna and I were on vacation in Hawaii from July 18-24. We had a wonderful time and were blessed to have the time together. Brenna loved the beach and the warm Pacific Ocean. She came home with a Coppertone tan for sure! We are thinking of you and you are in our daily prayers. We hope you come home soon! Let me know if you need anyone to check up on your house. We are still on Magnolia, as we are waiting for an offer to go through on a property we want in the Northgate neighborhood, but it could be a while. Rob returned to Las Vegas for his work and is still commuting to see us as often as possible. So far no good leads on employment here in the Central Valley, but he is still diligently searching and we are hanging in there. Hopefully we will close on this property that we want, and he will be in Modesto permanently since the house will need some fixing up. Hang in there, we are thinking of you and praying for you always.
Love and prayers--Beth, Brenna and Rob
Jane,
ReplyDeleteIt was really good to talk to you yesterday and hear the longing to be a servant of God in any circumstance. God has been preparing you for this, I believe he will heal you over the next months. Your faith has strengthened mine and we will continue to keep you in our prayers daily.Looking forward to seeing yo soon. Denny
Jane,
ReplyDeleteGod brings good from evil for those who love him so there will be much good that comes from this.
I am with you in spirit and in prayer.
Rose LaMont